Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Getting Green Fingered with Steve Wheen

EMDAD RAHMAN digs deeper…

Green fingered Steve Wheen recently hit the headlines with his Guerilla Gardening exploits in Tower Hamlets, East London.

Aussie Wheen has been busy transforming horrid potholes into handsome and blooming floral presentations – a welcome sight for road users in Tower Hamlets (Which roughly estimates as 100% of the borough).

Things get a little bit more interesting when I’m told that Guerilla Gardening is happening all over the planet – with 30 countries at least where Gardeners are indulging this great pastime.

The term guerrilla gardening is also used to depict various types of radical agriculture and gardening, gardening as an altogether political gesture rather, than one with authentic horticultural aspiration. An example is the London May Day protest in 2000, when no long standing garden was expected to take root…















Are you the Banksy of potholes?

I am a student at Central Saint Martins and the blog was a university project. I don't claim to be the first Guerrilla Gardener, and other people have made pothole gardens too. There's one guy in Cuba who is famous in the Guerilla Gardening community.

Where do you live in T Hamlets?

Whitechapel

Why pothole gardening?

I love Guerilla Gardening, and I thought I'd brighten up my part of London. I have lived in Tower Hamlets for 2 and a half years and I love the area. I am Australian.

Is pothole gardening for anoraks?

I would say that this is my creative outlet. Something that I enjoy doing. I'm not obsessed with Guerilla Gardening, or potholes, although potholes do bug me when I'm on my bike!

What's been the local resident response?

I think it's been positive on the whole. I've had plenty of smiles.

Who labelled you Guerilla Gardener - why?
Guerrila Gardening is a popular term for gardening in public spaces, which is what I do.

Do you operate all seasons?

No, just spring! It's too cold!

Has pothole gardening caught on?

There have been other people gardening in Potholes, so I guess so...Guerilla Gardening is very popular, especially in Hackney, and it's been around for a long, long time.

How are you handling your new found popularity?

It's funny, I'm wondering when people will stop caring about my project!!!

Are you restricted to flowers only?

I like my little gardens to be bright, with the aim of getting a smile, which is why I use flowers. It also draws attention to the gardens.

What types of flower do you plant the most?

Bulbs mostly, but I'll try anything soft, bright and low!

Is it an expensive habit?
I've got some people at Columbia Road Markets that help me with my habit!

Do you have any plans to take this initiative onto a bigger stage?

Not at this stage, but watch this space!

Will readers look at potholes in the same manner after reading this?

I hope not, I hope they encouraged to get out there and brighten up the area in their own special way. I don't condone doing anything illegal though.

Please note, I have not created gardens on busy roads. I have worked on potholes on quiet roads (mostly dead ends and lanes) and also on footpaths!

www.thepotholegardener.com
www.guerrillagardening.org

Guerrilla gardening
Guerrilla gardening is gardening on another person's land without permission. It encompases a very diverse range of people and motivations, from the enthusiastic gardener who spills over their legal boundaries to the highly political gardening who seeks to provoke change through direct action. It has implications for land rights, land reform. The land that is guerrilla gardened is usually abandoned or neglected by its legal owner and the guerrilla gardeners takes it over ("squat") to grow plants. Guerrilla gardeners believe in re-considering land ownership in order to reclaim land from perceived neglect or misuse and assign a new purpose to it.
Some guerrilla gardeners carry out their actions at night, in relative secrecy, to sow and tend a new vegetable patch or flower garden. Some garden at more visible hours to be seen by their community. It has grown into a form of proactive activism or pro-activism.

No comments: